Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Broccoli and Seitan with Black Bean Sauce


Going out to eat as a vegetarian or vegan can be very difficult.  While lots of foods appear to be meat-free, many are cooked in a meat-based broth.  This week I decided to make my own vegan broccoli and seitan with black bean sauce, inspired by one of my favorite Chinese dishes: chicken with black bean sauce.  The recipe for this dish was adapted from CookingLight Way to Cook Vegetarian's Seitan Stir-Fry with Black Bean Garlic Sauce.

My first step was to mix together the sauce: water, rice wine, flour, and store-bought black bean garlic sauce. After I set this aside, I stir fried a package (8oz) of seitan in oil.


After the seitan started to brown, I removed it from the pan and added garlic, ginger, and broccoli to the pan, which I cooked until the broccoli was no longer crunchy. 



Then, I added back in the sauce and seitan and cooked until heated through.  That's all it took!  This stir fry was awesome.  It had great flavor and was super easy to put together, thanks to the prefab black bean sauce. I served it with brown rice to create a well-balanced dinner, complete with protein (seitan has a ton!), complex carbs, and vegetables. Yum yum yum. It was also great for lunch the next two days.  Have you ever tried seitan?






No comments:

Post a Comment