Thursday, December 29, 2011

Mushroom spinach wrap with bean spread


Wow...that title sounds really appetizing doesn't it? NOT.  It turns out that, despite the name, this was a quite tasty lunch. I saw this recipe a while ago in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  I never had the ingredients on hand at the same time, but last night I decided to get up off the couch and go to the grocery store to buy them. Here they are:
  • Mushrooms
  • Italian dressing
  • Spinach (cheaper when bought from the salad bar)
  • 1 can of beans (cannellini or navy)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • Tortillas
  • Cheese (I used a shredded Italian blend)
Here's what you do.  First, coat the sliced mushrooms in Italian dressing.  I'm sure another type of dressing would work too, but that is what I had on hand.  Then, broil the mushrooms in the oven for a few minutes.  Meanwhile, lightly dress the spinach in dressing.  Then, use a blender to combine the can of beans, garlic, olive oil, and chili powder into a thick liquid--somewhere between gravy and peanut butter. All that's left to do now is put everything together!  Lay out a tortilla, smear it with the bean spread, and then layer on spinach, mushrooms, and cheese. I refrigerated my wraps overnight and had them today for lunch.  I was afraid they might get a little soggy from the spread and dressing, but had no problem.




No comments:

Post a Comment