Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Kale chips

Kale seems to be one of the newest "super foods."  You know, those foods that are low in fat and high in everything good for you imaginable? Anyways, I've been seeing a lot of recipes for kale chips online lately, so I decided to give them a try. I had never eaten, much less bought, kale before, so it took me a few minutes to find it in the produce section.  In case you decided to try this recipe, here's a hint.  I don't know if all kale is like this, or if my grocery store had a wimpy selection, but this bunch looks rather limp to me.


 Kale chips are actually really easy to make.  The first thing to do is cut or tear the kale into chip-sized pieces (interpret that with liberty), making sure to avoid the stems. Then, place the kale pieces on a baking sheet and toss them lightly with olive oil and salt.  Bake at 275 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until crispy. This is what the chips look like before going into the oven.


I forgot to take a picture of the finished chips.  Basically, they look the same but a little smaller and shriveled.  While having a consistency similar to sheets of seaweed, the chips were surprisingly tasty.   The coarse salt and crispiness of the chips makes them seem like traditional potato chips.  Make sure to eat the chips right away.  I discovered the hard way that if you put them in a plastic baggie to take to lunch they turn mushy.

Have any of you tried kale chips?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment