Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Vegan/Vegetarian Taco Salad

Normally, I am not a huge fan of tacos.  This weekend, however, I tried fish tacos for the first time ever.  After seeing it on the "How many foods have you tried?" app on Facebook, I knew that I had to try them sooner or later.  It turns out it was sooner, and I was impressed.  The fish tacos I had were made with Tilapia and topped with a mango salsa.  The sweet and salty combo really did it for me. 

I was so intrigued by the  tacos that I decided to make my own version of tacos.  They were very simple to make, and the whole process took about fifteen minutes.  For the filling I mixed together:
  • 1 can of drained, rinsed black beans
  • 1/2-1 cups cooked frozen corn
  • 1 diced tomato
  • 1 diced avocado
  • 1/2 chopped green pepper
  •  1 diced jalapeno pepper
  • a generous amount of fajita seasoning (I had some leftover homemade mix in the cabinet from fajitas, but a purchased packet would work too.)

Then, because I wanted to be a little creative, I baked tortillas into taco bowls.  The inspiration for the bowls came from the Skinny Bitch cookbook, that it probably seems like I am obsessed with by now.  To bake the shells into a bowl, first I microwaved them for 30 seconds to loosen them up.  Then, I formed them into a bowl shape using a muffin tin.  I baked them in the muffin tin at 350 degrees for ten minutes.  After the bowls were nice and crisp, I took them out of the oven and put my filling (along with a little lettuce) into the bowl.

I made two versions of the taco salad: one vegan, one vegetarian.  Can you guess what the difference is?

 

 

The only difference between the two is a sprinkle of cheese on top.  I ate both versions, and honestly, the cheese made little to no difference in the enjoyment of this meal.  Both versions were fantastic.  I will definitely make this recipe again!

No comments:

Post a Comment