Friday, June 22, 2012

Carrot Zucchini Muffins


After my vegan week was over, I still had some vegetables leftover from my wonderful aunt's farmer's market spree. Since I had not ventured into vegan baking, I was craving some muffins. I ended up making carrot zucchini muffins, using this recipe that I found online.

The recipe started off like any other muffin recipe.  Mix together the standard dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking soda, and spices.



Then, mix together the wet ingredients: oil, sugar, egg, and applesauce, grated carrots and grated zucchini.  I did not have applesauce, so instead I used a mashed banana plus milk to make 3/4 cups.


Next, combine the wet and dry ingredients just until everything is moistened.  If you mix for too long, too much gluten will develop and your muffins will become chewy. Who wants chewy muffins?


Spoon the batter into 12 greased muffin tins and bake in a 400 degree oven until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.


And voila, muffins that cover all five food groups!  For carbs we have flour; for fruit there is a banana; for vegetables we have zucchini and carrots; for protein there is an egg; for dairy there is milk (in my version at least); and for fats there is a little oil.  What a well-balanced muffin!  Despite all of the healthy ingredients, it was also quite tasty.  It had a great muffin texture as well.


I liked this recipe so much that I recommended it to my brother.  He was apparently in a hurry when he made it, though, and forgot to add the baking powder, spices, and salt.  Without baking powder, baked goods just won't rise.  Needless to say, his muffins were a failure.  Make sure to read recipes carefully and follow directions!



No comments:

Post a Comment