Thursday, June 14, 2012

Vegan Jambalaya

 

Over the weekend of my vegan week, I went to visit my aunt and uncle in Virginia.  They were very considerate of my food restrictions, and even went to the farmer's market for me.   For lunch we had TONS of grilled veggies and portabello sandwiches. There were a lot of leftover grilled vegetables, which I was lucky enough to take home with me.

Remembering a great vegan meal I had at One World Cafe in Baltimore, I decided to make a vegan jambalaya featuring the vegetables.  The first step was to saute the veggies in a pan to crisp them up again.  You can see all of the veggie goodness in this picture:  green squash, yellow squash, red pepper, portabello mushrooms, red onion...

 

Once the veggies were heated, I added vegetable broth, brown rice, and jambalaya spices as recommended by the internet.  If you were making this with fresh vegetables, you would want to make sure that the veggies are tender before adding the broth. 

 

Once the rice was cooked, I added seitan that I had leftover from my vegan sloppy joes. I let the jambalaya cook for a couple more minutes to heat the seitan, and then it was ready to devour.

 

When I told my family that I made vegan jambalaya, they were a little confused.  Traditionally jambalaya is made with sausage and shrimp.  Mine obviously had neither.  They questioned whether this concoction could really be called jambalaya.  I would argue that yes, it can.  The flavor was spot-on, and the texture was very similar to the original recipe.  This is a great way to make a large quantity of food with leftovers already in the fridge.  



No comments:

Post a Comment