Sunday, August 26, 2012

Roasted Tomato Sauce

 

Towards the end of summer, my dad's garden always has an overabundance of ripe tomatoes.  He dropped off about 20 at my apartment and the only way I could think of using them up was to make some tomato sauce.  I made two kinds: a rustic roasted tomato sauce and a more sophisticated tomato sauce with white wine.  Here I'll present the roasted tomato sauce. I used eight tomatoes for this sauce.


First I cut the tomatoes into one inch chunks.

 

Then I mixed up fresh basil, olive oil, and garlic...  

 

...and tossed it with the chopped tomatoes.

 

Next I roasted the herbed tomatoes in a warm (325 degrees) oven for about two hours. After two hours, I increased the heat to 400 degrees and cooked them for another half hour.  The roasting instructions came from Alton Brown's recipe here

 

Once the tomatoes were nice and roasted, starting to get crisp around the edges, I let them cool.  To turn the tomatoes into the sauce, I blended them using my stick blender.  I left a few tomato chunks to give the sauce a rustic feel.  Though this picture is pretty blah, this sauce was awesome.  It made enough for one meal of pasta and broccoli shown above and an extra quart that I froze for later, when fresh garden tomatoes are no longer available.




No comments:

Post a Comment