Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Oven roasted beets

Earlier in the summer my aunt gave me some beets from the farmers market.  I had never eaten beets before, much less cooked them, so I searched around the internet for some recipes.  My first beet treat was oven roasted beets.  Basically, I pretended that I was making oven roasted potatoes but used beets instead.  Here are the four golden beets I used, already trimmed.

 

When I cut them open I noticed that they had really neat designs on the inside, kind of ling the rings on an old tree:


I sliced the beets into chunks that were approximately 1" big.  Then I tossed them in olive oil, cumin, and cayenne pepper and baked them in the oven.

 

The beets turned out nice and crisp, just like oven roasted potatoes should.  They were quite tasty--like potatoes, but a little earthier, with more flavor.  I assume more nutrients too, but I haven't looked that one up... 


No comments:

Post a Comment