Sunday, October 21, 2012

Vegetarian Pot Pie


I kicked off my fall recipes with pumpkin baking.  Now that it's starting to actually  get colder, here's a hearty pot pie recipe.  It's from the Skinny Bitch cookbook, pictured below.  The main ingredients are also pictured below: pie crust, flour, milk (non-dairy if you want a vegan recipe), oil, butter (margarine if you want a vegan recipe) and vegetables.  Here I used onion, carrots, peas, and broccoli, but any vegetables would do.  



There are three parts of this pot pie: vegetables, crust, and base. The first step in making this vegetarian pot pie is to cook the vegetables.  I started by sauteing the onion and carrots. 


Next, I added in the broccoli and frozen peas. 


Next up is the broth, or base for the pot pie. This is the unhealthy part.  First, I melted a stick up butter.


Then, I stirred in some flour to thicken it up. 


The third ingredient in this base was milk.  I stirred it into the butter and flour mixture. 


Once the vegetables and base were ready I mixed them together.  This will be the filling in the pot pie. 


This recipe was designed to make one standard pie-sized pot pie. Instead, I made two smaller pies.  They were meant to be individual servings, but really each pie had 2-3 servings in it. 


After the filling was in its dishes, I covered them with pie crust, pinching at the edges in an attempt to make it pretty. 


Then I baked it in the oven until the crust was golden brown. 


And voila, that is how you make pot pie.  Despite being vegetarian (and vegan with a few modifications), this pot pie tasted just how I remembered it. With a buttery, flaky crust, this dish is best served fresh out of the oven.



No comments:

Post a Comment