Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook

Since I've been cooking a lot more vegetarian food lately, I decided that I should invest in a vegetarian cookbook.  After much shopping (online and in person), I settled on Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook.  I had heard of this book before--my initial impression is that the author was cocky using a title like that.  It turns out that this book is actually vegan and the author is a nutritionist.  So far I have been very happy with the recipes.  I have made blueberry streusel cake, edamame salad, and daal. 

The blueberry streusel cake was the most traditional of the three recipes I have tried so far.  While not the healthiest thing I have ever made, it was good enough to be my breakfast for a week straight.  (Sorry, no pics of this one).


Next up is the edamame salad.  This is probably my favorite of the three recipes.  This salad, which is served cold, involves edamame, bell pepper, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and an AMAZING miso dressing.  The dressing reminded me of the salad dressing at my favorite Japanese steak house.  This is a must try.  In case you don't know (I only learned about two weeks ago), edamame is soy beans.  It is cold either in pods like peas, or already shelled as pictured above, and is a great source of protein.


Finally, we have daal.  Daal is a traditional Indian dish made from lentils.  Basically, it is lentils--red in this case--cooked with a bunch of spices, onion, and pepper. It was surprisingly easy to make and made great leftovers for lunch.  I'm looking forward to trying more recipes from this book.  I've already flagged about twenty more that I want to try....look for those coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment