Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thai stir fry

I recently discovered Food Gawker (www.foodgawker.com).  If you haven't checked this out yet, you must.  It is a compilation of recipes from blogs around the web.  There are many creative ideas on here of dishes that I would never think to make on my own. 

 

A recipe on this site served as my inspiration for a Thai stir fry made primarily of sweet potatoes, lentils, and cabbage. Here's the link to my inspiration: http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-thai-sweet-potatoes-and-lentil.

The first step was to cook the lentils and sweet potatoes in vegetable broth.  I started the vegetable broth and lentils on the stove while I cut up the sweet potato.



Once the sweet potato was peeled and cut into approximately one inch squares, I added it to the vegetable broth and lentils.


After about half an hour, the lentils and sweet potatoes were soft.  It is easy to check when potatoes of any kind are done cooking by sticking them with a fork.  If the fork goes in easily, they are done.  While the lentils and sweet potatoes were cooking, I prepared the next round of ingredients for the pot: fresh ginger and canned tomatoes.


Here's what the mixture looked like after adding the tomatoes and ginger:


 While that cooked, I prepared for the other part of the preparation process.  This included stir frying cabbage with my favorite three ingredients (can you guess these yet?): olive oil, garlic, and onion, plus a jalepeno. First I cut up the cabbage into small strips.  It just so happened that this week cabbage was on sale for 33 cents per pound.  That's even cheaper than bananas! It's too bad cabbage isn't a very nutrient-dense vegetable.  The sweet potatoes and lentils make up for it in this dish though. 

 



Finally, it is time to combine all of the ingredients. After the cabbage was cooked (about ten minutes), simply mix together the cabbage mixture with the sweet potatoes and lentils.  All that's left to do is pour in some coconut milk for creaminess.


This colorful dish is vegan, packed with nutrients, and made great leftovers for lunch.  I think I am going to make this again with the coconut milk leftover from this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment