Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mini quiche

 

In college I made quiche all the time.  It was an easy dish to prepare that felt homey and classy all at once.  I have not made quiche since college, and decided it was time to try again.  Only this time I made mini quiche using a muffin tin. I found the recipe through food gawker.  You can find it here.

The first step was to prepare the crusts.  I used a store bought (gasp!) pie crust, mostly because it was on sale. I used a plastic cup dipped in flour to cut out circles of pie crust. 

 

Then, I rolled them out a little thinner and placed them into a greased muffin tin, as you would with paper liners.  I found that 1 9" pie crust is enough to make 12 mini crusts. While I prepared the filling, I placed the tray in the refrigerator to keep the crusts cool.

 

For the filling, the first step was to saute onions in olive oil until translucent.  You'd think I would have come up with a more creative way to photograph this by now...


Then, I mixed the cooked onions  with eggs, cheese, defrosted frozen spinach, milk, and nutmeg.

 

 Next I spooned the mixture into the crusts.  I had some filling leftover, which I baked in a small baking dish alongside the mini quiche.


Finally, I baked the quiche in the oven for about 20 minutes.  When they came out they had pooofed up.

 

But after cooling, they deflated and looked very cute, in my opinion at least.  Overall, these quiche were pretty good.   As a single person, though, you can only eat so much quiche before getting tired of it.  Many of these ended up in the freezer.  I do not know yet how well quiche freeze.  My guess is not that well. This would be a great recipe to save and bring to a brunch or picnic.




No comments:

Post a Comment