Sunday, July 29, 2012

Multigrain Pasta Salad


A couple of months ago, my mom gave me this bag of mixed grains from Trader Joe's.  It contains couscous, orzo, baby garbonzo beans, and quinoa.  You might have noticed by now that I don't eat a lot of pasta, or carbs in general.  It took me a while to get around to it, but eventually I made a pasta salad out of it. 
 

Here are the vegetables that I used in the salad: eggplant, red onion, and green bell pepper.

 

I chopped them up and roasted them in the oven until lightly browned.  

 


I also used some fresh herbs from my dad's garden and my own mini garden on the stoop: basil, oregano, rosemary, and more basil. The herbs were not roasted, but only minced.


While the vegetables were roasting, I cooked the pasta mixture, as specified on the package.  Basically, I boiled it for a few minutes.


 After everything was done cooking, I simply mixed everything together to form the salad. You could add a little olive oil and balsalmic dressing, but I thought the vegetables and fresh herbs gave the dish plenty of taste. This pasta salad can be eaten warm, at room temperature, or cold.  It would be a great healthy dish to take to a picnic or potluck!




No comments:

Post a Comment