Saturday, January 14, 2012

Baked oatmeal muffins

 

I've recently been intrigued by the idea of clean eating, and eating whole foods.  Basically, this means eating a food in its natural state (ex. an apple with the peel) rather than in a highly processed form with lots of added sugar, fat, preservatives, etc.  So, this week I decided to make a really healthy breakfast option--baked oatmeal muffins.  They weren't really muffins, as much as oatmeal in muffin form.  Basically, here's what I did:  First I combined oats (traditional, not quick, though that would work too), an egg, a mushed up banana, a diced apple, cinnamon, chopped pecans, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and some milk. Notice, there is no oil or sugar in this recipe. Then, I poured this mixture into a muffin tin.  Most of the recipes I looked at for inspiration used a pie dish, but I thought muffins would be cute and easier to take to work with me.


Then, I baked the muffins in the oven for about 15 minutes.  When they came out, they looked about the same.


I was a little nervous the the "muffins" wouldn't hold their shape once removed from the tins, but they did.  I wouldn't say this is  a new favorite recipe, but it was definitely edible...even pretty tasty once combined with some yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment