Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Butternut squash noodle soup


I made up this soup completely by accident. Initially I wanted to make a typical butternut squash soup.  I got a bag of frozen cut up butternut squash and put it in a pot of vegetable stock along with an onion, some garlic, and a little nutmeg for seasoning. Once the squash was soft, I took my stick blender and blended up the chunks of squash to make what I had hoped would been a puree.  It turns out that even with the pureed squash, my soup was more like a thick broth.  I was out of frozen squash at this point, so I had to get creative.  Instead of bailing on my soup, I added more vegetable broth and some Israeli couscous. The product was addicting.  I think that if I were vegan or vegetarian and sick, this would be my go to soup.  It has the richness and homemade goodness of a good chicken noodle soup, without the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment