Saturday, January 14, 2012

Reese's Cup Cake

I haven't posted any desserts in a while, so I figured I should mix it up.  This week my boyfriend and I made a Reese's cup cake.  You might be asking yourself, what is that? Well, it is a chocolate cake with a peanut butter filling inside. 

I had never made anything like this before, so I took step-by-step pictures.  First, I followed the directions on a chocolate cake mix to whip up some cake batter. Then, I poured the batter into my special pans. You can see in the picture that these pans are rather small--maybe three or four inches in diameter and have a raised center.  This center will create a hole for the filling.
 The next step is to bake the cakes in the oven according to the directions on the mix. They won't take as long to bake, however, since they are smaller.
 Here comes the exciting part.  After the cakes have cooled, you can add the filling.  The peanut butter cup filling was a combination of peanut butter (I used crunchy but would recommend creamy), milk, and cool whip--so much for that clean eating thing I just talked about...
 Then, once the filling is inside the two halves of the cake, you simply flip one cake on top of the other.
 Then, cover with icing, and chocolate chips or sprinkles if you desire.  For the last picture, I cut out a piece so that you can see the filling too.  Tada!  I think this cake looks really impressive, and isn't actually that hard to make. 
If there are any careful readers out there, you may be thinking to yourself...but what about all that leftover cake batter?! Obviously, I couldn't let that go to waste.  There was enough batter left over to make 12 cupcakes in addition to the cake.  I didn't want to eat all of these cupcakes at once, so I used a type that my aunt taught me.  Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, you can put them in freezer bags and freeze them for another time.  When you are ready for a quick chocolate fix, just take the cupcakes out of the freezer and let them defrost.  Put on some fresh frosting, and you have a delicious treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment