Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Spinach and Eggs--Breakfast for Dinner


Earlier in the week I had a ton of spinach in the fridge and didn't know what to do with it.  For once I bought an entire bag of spinach, rather than a single serving from the salad bar.  Actually I bought two bags because they were buy one get one free.  After some investigation, I found out just how economical it really is to buy spinach  off of the salad bar.  The salad bar price ($4.99/lb) at Giant is far less than the spinach price ($9.99/lb).  (Those are estimates, but pretty close to actuality.)

Anyways, I decided to make breakfast for dinner (surprise, surprise), and incorporate the spinach with some eggs.  The inspiration for this recipe came from another blog.  You can find the original recipe here: http://blackdogfoodblog.com/skillet-eggs-with-spinach/.

Here are my ingredients: two farm eggs, a couple cups of spinach, two sliced mushrooms, diced green onions, and garlic. 


To make this dish, my first step was to saute the mushrooms, garlic, and green onions in olive oil.  Once the mushrooms were tender, I added the spinach and covered the pan.  Initially, I thought there's no way I need this much spinach.  However, it shrinks down in the cooking process to a very manageable quantity. Once the spinach wilted, just a few minutes later, I cracked the two eggs in the pan. 


I left the pan on the stove for two more minutes and then transferred it to the oven on broil.  In just a few minutes, the eggs were cooked.  For ideal dipping, you want the yolks to be soft.  I used toasted  naan leftover from my Indian feast for dipping. What a great idea! The final step was to sprinkle on a little cayenne pepper and enjoy. 


This is one of my new favorite breakfast for dinner recipes.  Because vegetables are involved, it seems more like a dinner recipe than most breakfast recipes. I have made it again substituting regular onions and omitting the mushrooms.  I recommend keeping in the mushrooms, or maybe even adding additional vegetables, like a red pepper for a little extra color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment